The Montgomery Society is named after Alexander Montgomery, a successful businessman and philanthropist who believed in the importance of education. On December 2, 1889, Montgomery (a personal friend of the Rev. Robert McKenzie, pastor of First Presbyterian Church of San Francisco), presented the young seminary with an historic gift of $250,000. This gift, coupled with a gift of 14 acres in Marin County from Arthur Foster, enabled the seminary to move from San Francisco to San Anselmo. Soon thereafter, on September 21, 1892 Montgomery Hall (the seminary’s first dormitory and now faculty and staff offices) was built and dedicated in his honor. Montgomery made additional gifts to build new faculty homes and a final gift of $40,000 to build Montgomery Memorial Chapel he was laid to rest on November 4, 1893.
Membership in the distinguished Montgomery Society is conferred upon individuals who follow in his philanthropic footsteps and provide either $25,000 in accumulated lifetime gifts to the seminary or who name the seminary as beneficiary of a planned gift, such as a bequest, life income gift, life insurance policy, gift of land or property. The original members of the Montgomery Society were required to name the seminary as beneficiary of a planned gift or donate accumulated gifts of $10,000. The accumulated gift amount was increased to $25,000 in May, 2010 and applies to all new applicants seeking membership. To inquire about joining this gift society, please contact Jack Kirkman, Vice President for Advancement & External Relations, (415) 451-2822, firstname.lastname@example.org or Jim Sharpe, Director of Advancement Operations, 415.451.2846, email@example.com.