Scholarships and Need Based Grants for the 2014-15 Academic Year
- Complete and return the appropriate SFTS Financial Aid Application to the Director of Student Services at SFTS - Forms listed below.
- If you are a domestic student you must also complete the 2014-15 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Enter the SFTS federal school code of G01279 in the "School" section of the FAFSA.
International Students: Submit copies of your bank statements for the past three months with your application. Statements are required for each and any bank accounts that you use or will use to fund your 2014-2015 tuition and/or living expenses
- Returning students, please submit all application materials by the priority deadline of April 15, 2014. Prospective students applying for admission are encouraged to submit their financial aid materials during the application process, and no later than May 15.
As a reminder to returning students, in order to renew your current need based grant or scholarship, you must submit the applicable 2014-15 SFTS Financial Aid Application by the priority deadline mentioned above.
Students who do internship full time for one or two semesters in addition to their six semesters of course work are not charged tuition for those semesters and thus are not eligible for SFTS need based grants or scholarships.
If your plans for 2014-15 are not clear because you do not yet know how you will fulfill your internship requirement, you may apply for a tuition grant (scholarship or need based aid) to assist with paying full tuition, in case you take a full course load one or both semesters. You must notify us as soon as you have found a placement as a full time intern; your aid will be adjusted accordingly.
Scholarships and Need Based Grants Forms:
If you are a domestic student or US permanent resident and wish to apply for federal student loans in addition to SFTS grants and scholarships:
Federal Loan Forms
- 2014-15 Academic Year: Please complete the appropriate 2014-15 GTU Financial Aid Application (Northern California / Southern California) and submit it to the GTU Financial Aid Office- Forms and contact information are listed
- You must also complete the 2014-15 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Enter the SFTS federal school code of G01279 in the "School" section of the FAFSA. (2014-15 Academic Year)
- Returning students, please submit all application materials by the priority deadline of April 15, 2014. Prospective students applying for admission are encouraged to submit their financial aid materials during the application process, and no later than May 15. (2014-15 Academic Year)
*Please keep a copy of all forms submitted for your own records
**The total amount of aid offered, including grants, loans, scholarships, and outside aid may not exceed the amount of the student's cost of attendance. The cost of attendance is the estimated amount needed to cover expenses during the school year, including tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation.
The student is expected to provide a portion of his/her educational and living expenses through income from work or savings.
Students who will be full time interns for 2014-2015 are not eligible for SFTS scholarships and need based grants. Full time interns are still eligible for federal loans. When full time interns return for their fourth year of studies at SFTS (3rd year of coursework), they are eligible to re-apply for scholarships and need based grants from SFTS.
Borrowing at SFTS
Once the GTU Consortial Financial Aid office receives your GTU Financial Aid Application and FAFSA results, a Financial Aid Award letter will be prepared and sent to you by the Consortial Financial Aid Office. This letter will list your SFTS tuition grant and any scholarship you may be awarded, as well as your eligibility to borrow through the Federal Direct Loan Program. In order to request a loan, follow the instructions that will be sent to you by the Consortial Financial Aid Office with your award letter.
If you have questions as you work on your forms, please feel free to contact us.
Director of Student Services
105 Seminary Road
San Anselmo, CA 94960
Toll-Free: 800-447-8820 ext. 824
Federal Direct Loan Program only:
Graduate Theological Union - Financial Aid Office
2400 Ridge Road (mailing address)
Berkeley, CA 94709