The Program in Christian Spirituality invites, equips, and encourages women and men to pay attention and respond to the presence of God in their own and others' lives, the life of the church, the systems and structures of human society, and God's unfolding creation.
Christian spirituality is the pattern of our everyday living in response to the Spirit of Christ—a pattern of prayer, action, relationships, and reflection. The primary values which express and guide the Program in Christian Spirituality include
- Prayerful awareness and response: to be open to the movement of
the Spirit and to respond with integrity and commitment
- Hospitality: to welcome others as we would hope to welcome Christ
- Wholeness: to embrace the wisdom of the Spirit as it emerges within the dynamic play of scripture and experience, theology and prayer, body and mind, reason and imagination, contemplation and action
- Compassion and justice: to be vulnerable to the suffering of others and to resist whatever may deny the fullness of life.
The PCS serves students at SFTS and the degree programs of the Graduate Theological Union.
- Spiritual nurture is offered to all students through retreats, prayer and spiritual formation groups, individual and group spiritual direction, as well as academic courses.
- Master of Divinity students may elect to concentrate in Christian
spirituality, focusing on spiritual formation for themselves and in their
- The Diploma in the Art of Spiritual Direction prepares clergy and laity for the ministry of contemplative listening with individuals, groups, and congregations.
- The Diploma in Spiritual Formation Studies is a program for persons
who seek to enrich their lives and ministries through coursework in
- The Doctor of Ministry may be earned at SFTS with an emphasis in
Christian spirituality or spiritual direction.
- Students pursuing the Master of Arts or Doctor of Philosophy in Christian Spirituality through the Graduate Theological Union may
take courses at SFTS and receive faculty support and guidance from
the Program in Christian Spirituality.
The PCS serves the ecumenical Christian community.
- Consultation, planning, and leadership for retreats, conferences, workshops, and seminars designed for specific groups—held on campus or other locations.
- Pastoral Renewal and Sabbatical offers time, space, and support for pastors who seek to renew their faith, life, and ministry.
- Companions on the Inner Way provides week-long retreats twice a year, focusing on the Christian spiritual life. Each event features a guest speaker, small group interaction, daily worship and Eucharist.
- Occasional events for students and the larger community. Such events include continuing education for spiritual directors, training for supervisors of spiritual directors, one-day retreats, and workshop-retreats for preachers.
The PCS is financially supported by the San Francisco Theological Seminary and by contributions to the PCS Annual Fund and the PCS Endowment. Contributions may be sent to:
Program in Christian Spirituality
San Francisco Theological Seminary
105 Seminary Road
San Anselmo, CA 94960
You may also contribute online, by clicking here
The PCS is accountable to
- The Spirit of Christ who invites all people to enter into a deepened relationship of faith, hope, and love
- Our students, graduates, and the communities they serve
- Individuals and churches that support this ministry with their prayers, financial donations, and skills
- The trustees and faculty of the San Francisco Theological Seminary, the Graduate Theological Union, the Association of Theological Schools, and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.